Thursday, January 24, 2013

I gave a speech at my friend's memorial


In January 2012, Philip Kates, my friend of ten years, passed away from liver cancer. He was a commercial director I met when I hired him to shoot a Maple Leaf Chicken commercial that I wrote. His funeral was in Alberta, where he was living with his wife. A few weeks later there was a memorial in Toronto. I got some laughs during my improvised speech. And I think Philip would have been very pleased about that. To watch Philip and I talking to the audience about our film at the HollyShorts Film Festival in August 2010, see my old blog post about that by clicking here. And here's the speech I gave at his memorial:





Philip and I meeting fans at the HollyShorts Film Festival in LA in August 2010, for the premiere of 3 Dates, a film that I wrote and he directed.

Feb. 17, 2012 At the Toronto memorial for Philip Kates.

Feb. 17, 2012 At the Toronto memorial for Philip Kates.

From those dates, you can see how old he was. Funny, I always thought he was younger.

No comments: