Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I auditioned for Come Date With Me Canada

According to the Facebook page for Come Date With My Canada, here's what this new TV show is about:


"Think you have the dating skills to take down the competition? Prove it. Four contestants compete for the attention of one lucky singleton... and a cash prize! Come DATE with Me features four males, from all walks of life and ages, vying for the attention of one lucky lady."


Well, I don't think for one second that I have any dating skills, but I'm always up for a challenge. So when my TV producer friend Samara suggested I contact the people at this show, I did so. An hour long phone interview with Susan the casting director ensued. Followed by this morning's 3-hour long interview in my condo. I gave Susan a tour of my place, which included me acting out the hypothetical dinner party date with my Smurf collection (Smurfette was the girl, I was the Smurf with an acoustic medieval guitar, Bay Street Lawyer was the Smurf who looked like a king, Sports Guy was Football Smurf, and Bar Guy was a beer drinking Smurf). I also improvised a little song on my guitar. And was asked to put on my Enviroman eco-superhero costume. I'm not sure if any of this will help me get on the show. But I sure entertained myself. And that's really what matters, right? At least, that's what I keep telling myself when I cry myself to sleep alone every night.


Susan packing up her camera after filming me in my Enviroman costume. She expressed surprise as to what my costume looked like. I guess she hadn't actually watched my eco music video. But I'm sure it was just a coincidence that she packed up right after the costume part.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gasp. I have an audition on Friday. Terrified!

Josh Rachlis said...

Don't worry, the women who do the casting are so nice, you won't be nervous at all - You'll just have fun! Say hi to them for me. :) And also, let me know how it goes! Post your tale at www.facebook.com/joshrachlis

Anonymous said...

Haha you were totally right, it was easy as pie and a pile of fun! I blogged about my prepping, panicking and the audition :)

Josh Rachlis said...

Just read your blog post. Awesome! Nice to see your photo of our good friend Susan. I hope you get on the show. You sound like a hoot! I'm just glad that you weren't the love object on MY episode. Because according to your Ideal Guy description (which was: "Okay, I definitely said a ‘Dude’… and then expanded by saying someone that likes Sports, Fixing Cars and Drinking Beer. Oh, and Tall, Dark and Handsome of course."), I'm the complete opposite of what you like. I for sure wouldn't have made it past the first elimination round. ;)

Anonymous said...

Haha .. well my Mom thinks I'm a hoot - so at least the two of you agree.

Hoping I get on the show because I think it would be so much fun! How long before your episode filmed did you find out? Mostly just want to know if I can squeeze in an extra vacation this year or if I'll need the days off for the show!

Josh Rachlis said...

Hmm... I can't remember. I think it was a week or two. They had to show my audition footage to the network to get approval for me. (God only knows why the network approved me! ;) But yah, it's a tough thing to have to get the time off work. Lemme know if you want me to talk to your boss for you. It's a worthy experience that will help with your job performance!

Anonymous said...

Haha, no trouble with Boss Lady - she's too excited actually. Mostly just want to have my own shit together :)