Sunday, January 22, 2006

It's time. Get out and vote Green (or NDP) on Monday. Please.

I spent a couple of hours today dropping off Green Party flyers door to door. (Yes, they were on recycled paper.) While I was walking around I picked up cans and bottles off the ground and dropped them into recycling bins. During my trek, I saw a couple of men putting up Conservative Party signs. While they were down the street nailing their signs into the ground, their car was sitting on the side of the road with the engine idling. With nobody in the car. Poisoning our air. It was pretty symbolic. I was going to give them one of my anti-idling brochures but I decided that a slow death by poisonous car fumes was preferable to being beaten to death by a Conservative Party sign.

Anyway, what's my point? My point is that I'm really trying to make the world a better place. I'm spending a lot of time doing that so that we will all benefit from cleaner air and a more compassionate, loving society. And there are a lot of people that are doing a heck of a lot more than me. Devoting their entire lives to making your country and your world a healthier, happier, more beautiful place to live in and to raise a family in. And all we're asking is that you take a little detour on your way to or from work tomorrow and put a little check-mark on a piece of paper. That's not too hard, is it? But it can make more of a difference than anything I can do.

People around the world are dying in their struggle for the right to vote. As recently as 1936, women weren't allowed to vote in Quebec. I believe it's your responsibility as a good person to do this. Don't allow those who want to take away basic human rights and let us all die from Global Warming to set the agenda for the country. Have your say. Everyone is listening. I don't care whom you vote for, just get out and vote. Okay, I lied. I do care whom you vote for (DRAMATIC ASIDE: And I hate the word "whom.") Make it the Green Party or the NDP and let's make this a better country to live in. Think about who - I mean, "whom" - you're doing it for. (Your parents? Your boyfriend? Your wife? Your sibling? Yourself? Josh Rachlis? Aw, that's sweet. Thanks.) And then go do it.

Below is an email I just got from the Green Party. It also applies if you're going to vote NDP. Once you're done reading it, shut down your computer and head to the polls. Let's kick some butt.

-Josh

--

Go Out and Vote

We are a grassroots party and it is finally up to the grassroots.

We have done everything in our power to make this a good campaign, to articulate our position, to put the facts in front of voters. We are now relying on you to go out and vote.

You need to get yourself to the polls. You need to call anyone you know who is going to vote Green and encourage them to vote. If someone needs help to get to the polls please help them out. That's it. That's all. You can vote for a vision of hope for Canada or yesterday's status quo. It's up to you.

Go Green

Vote Jan 23rd let's get the Green community out to be counted.

No comments: